Entrepreneurial expert Aaron Shelley confronts the irony of prioritizing business over personal life, highlighting the importance of intentional living to achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Together we’re going to have a synergy where you’re doing the thing you’re best at, I’m doing the thing I’m best at.
My special guest is Aaron Shelley
Meet Aaron Shelley, a multifaceted individual whose journey has taken him through the worlds of engineering, entrepreneurship, and academia. With a background in mechanical engineering and an MBA under his belt, he has worked in various industries, including tech startups and consulting. But it was his experience in researching family businesses that sparked his passion for finding parallels between business and family structures. Aaron’s mission is to help others create successful and fulfilling work-life balances by combining the best principles of business and family life.
Aaron Shelley believes that the principles that make a successful business can also be applied to families. However, he acknowledges that this is an area where many people struggle. Through his experiences in engineering, business, and entrepreneurship, Aaron has developed a unique perspective on family dynamics and how they can be optimized for success. It was during a project on family businesses that Aaron saw potential in the models being used and started working on his book. Through his journey, Aaron has learned the importance of understanding each family member’s strengths and aligning goals, which he believes can help create a strong family structure, just like a successful business.
Aaron has a BS in Mechanical Engineering and an MBA. He has worked with small businesses and startups where he developed a unique systems perspective on business and family. His work in the academic and business worlds led him to understand how related our families and business dynamics are. He has built multiple companies, consulted across multiple industries and helped raise $54 million as the COO of a technology company.
In this episode, you will be able to:
- Unlock the secrets to building sustainable family and business frameworks that complement each other.
- Comprehend the importance of aligning roles and responsibilities in fostering healthy marriages and family life.
- Implement social resource investment strategies to enhance your family’s well-being.
- Delve into the world of seamless communication and value alignment to fortify family bonds.
- Absorb practical wisdom that helps ambitious entrepreneurs and business owners harmonize their work-life balance.
The resources mentioned in this episode are:
- Define the purpose of your family and make sure that you and your spouse are aligned in the long-term direction.
- Assess your family’s culture and values to ensure that they align with your long-term goals.
- If you are dating, focus on finding someone whose purpose and goals align with your own.
- If you are already married, have a conversation with your spouse about your shared purpose and goals.
- Determine the roles and responsibilities each person will take on in the family to ensure that they align with your shared purpose and goals.
- Consider seeking professional help, such as a family therapist or counselor, to help you work through any issues or conflicts that arise.
- Remember to prioritize and make time for your family, especially during busy work periods.
- Consider implementing regular family meetings to discuss goals and assess progress.
- Take time to reflect on your family’s progress and adjust goals and strategies as needed.
- Consider reading Aaron Shelley’s book, Family Inc.: Using Business Principles to Maximize Your Family’s Wealth, for more detailed guidance on applying business principles to family dynamics.
Connect with Doug here: